Monday, November 7, 2011

What is my favorite part of the wedding day?

Oh, well I'm glad you asked!

As you can imagine, I've seen my fair share of weddings. And to be honest, there are a hundred things I love about a wedding... especially when it's between two people who really, truly, madly, deeply, inexplicably - love each other.


I love the things that everyone loves - the first time the groom sees his bride, the exhange of vows and first kiss, the nervous excitement on each of their faces just before the ceremony is to begin. But the thing that always gets me, the thing that brings me to tears - ALWAYS - is the first dance. It's true... I'm a sucker for a love song. But the way he looks at his wife, and the way she looks back at her husband, there's something so perfectly romantic and lovely about the first dance.

Anna & Chris - courtesy Kellie Kano
 Cameron & Eric - courtesy Ed Shenkmen Photography
 Carey & Austin - courtey Rachel Barker of Millie Holloman
 Chelsea & Art - courtesy Matt McGraw Photography
 Georgiana & Thad - courtesy Scott Piner Photography
 Julie & Blake - courtesy Sposa Bella Photography
 Lauren & Mike - courtesy Courtney Aliah Photography
 Sean & Karen - courtesy Kristopher Gerner 

Of course it helps to pick out a really good song, one you can move to together, one that everyone can sing along or sway to, one that expresses how you're feeling, right at that moment. The thing that amazes me, the first dance song selection seems to be the hardest decision for couples to make. It's the last bit of information they send to me - so that I can make sure their DJ or band has that song on their playlist and scheduled for the right time. For some reason, in the weeks leading up to the wedding, this is the detail that eludes me and the soon to be newlyweds.

And so in an effort to help you out, I've compiled a list of all the "first dance" songs I can remember hearing over the last year or so. Hope this makes the decision a little easier on you all:

"Grow Old with Me" by Mary Chapin Carpenter
"By My Side" by Ben Harper
"Just you and Me"
"Someone like you" by Van Morrison
"Boogie Shoes" by KC & The Sunshine Band
"You're All I Need" by Marvin Gaye
"Endless Love" Dianna Ross & Lionel Richie
"At Last" by Etta James
"In my life" by the Beetles
"What a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong
"You are so beautiful" by Joe Cocker
"Marry Me" by Train
"Then" by Brad Paisley
"Crazy Love" by Van Morrison
"Feels like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk
"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison
"We've got tonight" by Bob Seger
"Brazilian Wedding Song Setembro"
"The Song for You" Ray Charles
"Jackie Wilson Said" by Van Morrison

There were many, many more... but unfortunately, this is what I can remember at the end of a long wedding season. You can always contact me here at the Bald Head Island Club if you need some suggestions for your Father/Daughter dance, Mother/Son dance or anything else!

Happy Song Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment